Thursday, September 20, 2007

To all the Celebrities (of all races):

Where the hell are you? The march in Jena, LA is going on right now. I am at my desk watching the coverage and have yet to see one celebrity stand up and say anything. It’s not like you couldn’t there. You guys rent jets, own jets and have the means to charter you and your friends there, but I guess San Tropez is/was a better trip.

I understand how involving yourself in a cause like this may damage your career because you will be seen as a separatist of some sort. But, standing for this means you stand for something, and I would rather stand behind you and your projects because you stood up. But I am only one person and I guess my support isn’t enough.

I understand you have prior engagements to attend to. But one day you will be so engaged you will miss the revolution happening in your back yard. I would think being a part of change made more sense than landing a deal with the movie director of the next unoriginal romantic comedy

I know that you all have spent years amassing your fortunes. But if you were generous with your earnings, or rather being good stewards of your fortunes you would know that if you donated a minimum of 10% of your earnings among the various causes people are seeking funding for, there would be more than 5 billion dollars to spread around. And that’s just counting the Hip-hop community. Imagine if every actor, singer, producer, performer did this. We would have had a cure for AIDS years ago, for instance. I’m not saying you don’t donate, but donating to causes outside of Amerikkka, leaves the cause here in a shambles. We donated for Katrina and they are still living in trailers two years later. We could helped those people a year ago. But I guess a 10 million dollar 6 bedroom home, 15 custom cars, a summer house in the Hamptons (where I hear the white parties are dope), an apartment in the city, are all needed. With all the space you own you could have put some of the Katrina victims up for a while until they got themselves together. But those houses/apartments are worth more to you empty than helping someone sleep in a safe environment.

I understand why you say you don’t want to be a role model. When my daughter is old enough to understand I will let her know you said that. That you refuse to stand up, you refuse to help, you refuse to do anything worth anything. You will, however, lend your name and support to anyone paying you to do so.

Isn’t it ironic? How you “prayed” and wished for all you have, and yet walk away from causes saying you don’t have anything to give to the people of your own home towns, your neighborhoods.

I fight in my own way. I donate, attend rallies, educate myself on the issues, and speak on the issues. But I’m still waiting to hear a word from you….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home