Monday, January 08, 2007

I went to Auntie W.B's funeral last evening. It was a sight to see. The church was packed from top to bottom. And this is no small place. I'm talking 1000+ people can fit in here. It was a touching event. She touched more lives than I think she even knew.

I didn't go to the casket. I stopped doing that a long time ago. She was and is so much more than the body that laid there, I couldn't let that image taint the person I remembered so full of life. So I said my goodbye from afar.

The family asked people to write down their memories of her on sheets of paper in the bulletin, they would use that to create a memory book. No doubt it will be filled with memories from so many people, it will swell into books of memories...

The pastor asked the attendies to stand if they had ever been to her home for after church lunch, more than 3/4 of the people stood up... two things were always true with her, very consistent as well, she greeted you witha hug and a kiss, and she would make sure you were always fed.

I told my husband when I die I didn't want a casket at my funeral, matter of fact I didn't want my body there. I don't want the last image anyone sees of me, not to look like me, or not to be me without a smile. And I didn't want anyone to wear black. It's not a time to dread my passing more like a time celebrate the time I was here. There will be tears, unfortunately. But I want smiles and laughter to drown that out...

1 Comments:

Blogger LuvJam said...

so i missed the wedding too :(
i know how you feel lady.. and im sorry you've lost someone you've loved...funerals are hard.

I think it's a blessing Aunt W.B. touched so many people that is the sign of a beautiful spirit. :) makes me wish i got to meet her...

hey..if you want.. I'll help Al set up a hip hop/neo soul concert and we can just forgo all the sadness.. :) let me know..

i love you - sending hugs across the distance..
your sister from another mother
j

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home