Thursday, January 25, 2007

What are you entitled to?

That's a question my mother asked me years ago. Funny thing is everything I answered with she said "no, you aren't entited to that, you earned that right." Entitlement truly means a right given that can never be compromised, changed, or taken away.

Every morning I realize how many people don't understand this point. You are not entitled to bolck the train doorway, to bump into me, and roll your eyes when I push you back, to be mad at me because my baby bump takes up more space than your fat roll, to take up the pole so you can lean against it and read your newspaper and then not close it so people can hold on and not be made to fall when the train jerks...

It has been a frustrating coupole weeks on the train. I feel like fighting everytime I get on the train. People are so inconsiderate to others, but expect (and feel entitled to) that respect from those same people.

I never felt to entitled to anything. I was always taught you earn what you have, you have the power to make sure you don't lose it but you can at any moment. There are things that I own, that other people have possession of right now. Am I entitled to getting my things back, maybe, but not really. They can keep it, most times I let them. Because i'm secure in the fact that I had pleasure from it for a moment, and now they are enjoying it just the same. no big loss, just a change of hands n my eyes.

I don't even feel people are entitled to love, in a sense. The only entitlement to love you should have is to self love... and we know more than enough people have yet to claim that. No outside person can take that away, unless you let them. It's innate and really is never lost; as in cannot be found again. It gets misplaced, forgotten, but it can always be reinstated.

Again, as I have said before, maybe I expect too much from people. I expect respect, consideration, and to be treated as human...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home