Monday, March 13, 2006

Opera...

You'd think that a black girl from Brooklyn wouldn't appreciate such a regal form of music. But I do, always have... I even have a favorite recording:

Kathleen Battle & Wynton Marsalis " Baroque Duet"

My favorite song/cantata is:
"Seufzer, Tranen, Kummer, Not"
(from Ich hatte viel Bekummernis, Cantata No.21)
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

"Seufzer, Tranen, Kummer, Not,
Seufzer, Tranan, angstlichs Sehnen
Furcht und Tod
nagen mein beklemmtes Herz
ich empfinde Jammer, Schmerz
Seufzer, Tranen, Kummer, Not, etc"


translation:

"Sighs, tears, grief, misery,
Sighs, tears, timid yearning,
Fear and Death
Gnaw at my uneasy heart
I feel distress and pain
Sighs, tears, grief, misery, etc"


Yes I know its a depressing cantata, but it is beautiful to me... her voice makes you feel the pain... check it out....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home